Friday, January 17, 2014

Sausage and Rice Bake

I don't know about you but brown rice prepared according to package directions is too blah for the time it takes. With this in mind I set out to make a brown rice casserole in the oven. I also love cabbage for it's ability to bulk up a meal without adding very many calories.

Ingredients 

  • 1 link of sausage, more if desired
  • 2 cups of uncooked brown rice
  • 1 head of cabbage
  • 1 onion
  • 2-3 ribs of celery
  • 1 can of Rotel
  • 1 tsp red pepper
Directions
  1. Prepare link of sausage as desired. I chose to prepare mine on the stove but it's up to you. Once it's done, chop it into small pieces. 
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  3. Prep the veggies. Shred the cabbage as fine as possible. Dice the onion and ribs of celery.
  4. Add all the ingredients in a 9x13 casserole pan. Pour 4 cups of water over the top and gently stir to combine. I was able to successfully stir in this container but if you are nervous about spilling just use a bowl. 
  5. Bake for 60-90 minutes or until rice is cooked. 
This made 12 servings. I put it in the freezer in 2 serving containers for weeknight meals. I add hot sauce to the individual servings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment