Thursday, January 16, 2014

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup

When I come home for my grandparent's, I almost always have some goodies to use in my cooking. This week was a ham bone!

I knew I wanted to make split pea soup for lunch this week and I thought there might be a handy way to use the ham bone in this pursuit. A simple google search, and voila! Exactly what I wanted, plus, it was in a slow cooker!

This recipe could not be easier. You literally just place everything in the ingredient list in the order given. It's important that the peas go in first so that they are completely covered in water. In just 8 hours of hands off time you will have a lovely split pea soup that is very silky.

I omitted the bay leaf and parsley because I did not have those ingredients on hand and it was totally fine without it. Also I never ever peel carrots. That's where all the nutrients are! 

Ingredients:

    • 1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed
    • 1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham
    • 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
    • 1/2 cup chopped onion
    • 2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
    • 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
    • 1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
    • 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
    • 1 1/2 qts. hot water

Preparation:

Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired.
I added water to stretch this to 10 one cup servings for lunch this week. Worked like a charm and froze perfectly. It paired wonderfully well with our standard half a turkey and cheese sandwich!

No comments:

Post a Comment